Tube Bending Question

Kent, great page and exquisite work. I am more the woodworker than metal banger, bender & welder...but I am hoping to get some experience. I am building a Piel Emeraude, an "all wood" design.

Anyway, your answer to bending 4130, in your Q/A section, is the answer to a question about a Henrob do you mind revisiting the question? I need to make some 1/2" O.D. x .049 door frames - with plenty of curved sections!?

Kent, an Emeraude is a flying machine, French design circa 1955. I have attached a jpeg of a shot looking down into the cockpit. The door frames that are made of 4130 fit around the inside of the wooden structure. So the curves are compound at the top rear of the doors. The tubing is 1/2" x .049". Any clue as to beginning this task is greatly appreciated!

Thank you, Joe Philips

The Tin Man Respondeth:

Well Joe, Seems like a tight fit for the occupants, but if you say so... Gradual bends may be made in a "hickey", the doodad electricians use to bend conduit. If the bend is tight, then modifications are used.

Filling then is an option. Sand, metals of low melting points, springs, rubber tubing and other stuff is most commonly used. BUT you must bend cold, and in a guide, die or mandrel that supports the shape of the tubing against distortion.

Hossfeld makes tube benders that are nice, if the hickeys are insufficient. Don't make a big deal out of this for one project, but proceeding slowly and observing carefully are my main "rules". This tube bending stuff is covered on our 4130 tape, along with lots of other fascinating information about tubing construction. Keep me posted,


See also:
Bending Square Tubing
Bending 4130 chrome-moly:

More Metalworking Tools FAQs